Many resources listed in these guides required University of Denver Sturm College of Law IP addresses for access. Other resources, such as Westlaw and LexisNexis require individual user accounts and passwords.
Free Online Sources
LLRX Court Rules, Forms and Dockets. See links to over 1,400 sources for state and federal court rules, forms, and dockets. Browse for resources or search by keyword.
Overview of Federal and State Court Rules
Court rules regulate civil and criminal practice procedure in federal and state courts. Some court rules are statutory and created by legislatures, while others require both judicial action and legislative approval. Researchers may use the following types of federal rules of procedure: appellate, bankruptcy, civil, criminal, and evidence which include instructions for preparing trial discovery, appeals, time restrictions, and more. State court rules usually address the same areas, but may or may not be similar to federal rules. Other state rules can be internal operating procedure for each court, rules of procedure, judicial administration, rules of professional conduct, bar admission rules, and local rules.
Find federal court rules in Titles 18 (Criminal) and 28 (Civil) of United States Code (USC) and United States Code Annotated (USCA). (Click the Federal tab and look under "Federal Court Rules of Procedure and Related Trial Practice Materials in Print" for a list of resources.) (Please note USC is at least two years behind in updating because of publishing delays.)
Research Colorado court rules in LexisNexis (Colorado Court Rules Books 1 and 2) and West versions of the statutes (Click the Colorado tab and check under the variety of entries for Colorado court rules and related trial practice materials in print.)
Be sure to check annotations after the text of each rule for summaries and citations to related court decisions. And read secondary sources for commentaries on the rules and citations to cases interpreting them.
- Basic Legal Research: Tools and Strategies, 4th edition. By Amy E. Sloan. New York: Aspen Publishers, 2009. Law-Level 3 Reference Desk KF 240 .S66 2009. See Chapter 6: Statutory Research -- Rules of Procedure.
- Colorado Legal Research. By Robert Michael Linz. Durham, NC: Carolina Academic Press, 2010. Law-Level 3 Reference KFC 1875 .L56 2010, Law-Level 2 FACULTY RESERVE: Green, Sheila (two copies). See Chapter 8: Court Rules.
- Finding the Law, 12th edition. By Robert C. Berring and Elizabeth A. Edinger. St. Paul, MN: Thomson/West, 2005. Law-Level 3 & Law-Level 3 Reference Desk KF 240.B45. See Chapter 9: Court Rules and Practice.
- Fundamentals of Legal Research, 9th edition. By Steven M Barkan, et al. New York: Thomson Reuters/Foundation Press, 2009. Law-Level 3 Reference KF 240 .J3. See Chapter 12: Court Rules and Procedures.
- Legal Research Illustrated: An Abridgment of Fundamentals of Legal Research, 9th edition. NY: Foundation Press, 2009. Law-Level 3 Reference Desk KF 240.J32 2009. See Chapter 12: Court Rules and Procedures.
- Legal Research in a Nutshell, 10th edition. By Morris L. Cohen and Kent C. Olsen. St. Paul, MN: West, 2010. Law-Level 3 Reference KF 240.C54 2010. See Chapter 7: Court Rules and Practice.
- Navigating Legal Research & Technology: Quick Reference Guide to the 1,500 Most Common Questions about Traditional and Online Legal Research. Compiled by Joel Fishman and Dittakavi Rao. Getzville, NY: Bridge Publishing Group LLC, 2010. Law-Level 3 Reference Desk KF 240.F595 2009. See Chapter 10: Court Rules.
- Principles of Legal Research: Successor to How to Find the Law, 9th Edition. By Kent C. Olson. St. Paul, MN: West, 2009. Law-Level 3 Reference KF 240 .O57 2009. See Chapter 9: The Judiciary, Part 4: Other Court Information.
- The Process of Legal Research, 7th edition. by Christina L. Kunz, et al. Austin, TX: Wolters Kluwer, 2008. Law-Level 3 Reference Desk KF 240 .P76 2008. See Chapter 16: Rules of Procedure and Chapter 17: Rules of Professional Responsibility.
This research guide has been adapted from court rules and practice materials in the above references.